Cutting your partner's hair at home
Should you do it?
A question that has been asked by so many women during the quarantine because of Covid-19. The answer is HELL YEA! The pandemic has crippled the world, most people are unable to visit hairdressers, and neither were we for some time last year. Since the first lockdown, I decided I'll give it a go and I've never looked back. You can part with a lot of money just for haircuts, especially if your family has multiple boys or girls who have short hair.
Enough talk - let's get on with it. Here's an easy guide on how to cut men's hair at home with clippers and scissors.
If you don't have a hair clipper yet, check out our collection. Next day delivery, so you can do this tomorrow!
How to cut your husband's/ son's hair
With all due respect to the hairdressers and other haircare professionals - cutting hair isn't rocket science. Most of us aren't fancy people and we don't need our boys walking around with the latest Ronaldo cut.
This is a standard method for cutting hair. Before you begin make sure you protect the clothes from getting hair all over it, and also the skin! If you're cutting your young son's hair, ensure his skin is protected against the spiky little hairs. Our son loses his mind each time I cut his hair. You have to apply baby powder, to prevent that prickly contact of hair and skin.
You will need:
- Clippers/Electric shaver
- Hair scissors
- Spray bottle
Note: Before starting, keep in mind that the hair should be shaved gradually from the bottom up, so that it is short at the bottom and increases in length as we go up...
1. Wash your husband's hair with shampoo and conditioner and comb it really well.
2. Rinse his hair and try not to let it dry. The more wet the hair is the easier it will be to cut.
3. Have a spray bottle with water next to you, so you can soak the hair whenever it starts to dry up.
4. Look for a good place to sit, preferably facing a mirror, with good lighting.
5. Use the clippers to shorten the hair at the back of the head, depending on his preference. If he likes his hair long, you can use only scissors to just trim the edges. But in any case, make sure you clean the neck from behind.
6. Begin trimming the hair at one side only, as you can begin to trim and shorten the hair at the top of his head as well.
7. After you're done, move to the other side and do the same.
8. Make sure that both sides are equal and let your husband have a look and point out any unevenness.
9. Move up to the top of the head, using your fingers between the strands, straightening them upwards until you can see them clearly.
10. Use scissors to balance out and even out the hair in this area.
11. Comb the hair again and make sure everything's even.
It sounds simple and it is people! Also remember to take your time. Follow the diagram on the image above. It gives you a really good idea of when to change clipper comb sizes to get that smooth hair finish. Keep at it until you get that desired look. For the top of the head you should only really be using scissors. Pull a bunch of hair between your fingers and cut the desired length.